Beyond the School Walls: Active Citizenship, Community and Network
School as a social institution and agent of socialization needs to have a good relationship with immediate and far communities. The relationship between school and community is a two-way cooperation, where both look for common goals. Students are affected positively when they develop the sense of belonging in the institutions they use to attend and visit. This training discusses the public role of educational institutions, specially schools, and their participation in the community, and also examines and develops methods on how to create connections with key partners, in order to avoid the isolation of the school.
We consider the responsibilities of all participants involved (government, teachers, school staff, families and students) focusing on the bond among them. It is discussed how to engage parents in the school environment and the children’s support at home, guaranteeing their achievement in the classes. It debates how to develop the engagement of the school and the community members, specially students, in the local environment and the conduction of campaigns to initiate changes.
Dates & Locations
This course wants to:
• Develop tools to improve a positive relation with civil society and authorities, and the importance of a network building;
• Encourage participants to learn, express themselves and exchange experience through group exercises and site visits;
• Master skills which will enable discussing human differences in modern society and run relevant activities;
• Guide working in international teams through the group and pair activities;
• Promote the collective creation as a method to achieve common goals;
• Encourage debates about citizen empowerment and decision making on public space that finalize in collective urban actions;
• Generate group cohesion through consensus and collective actions;
• Emerge an awareness of the positive impact that experiences outside the classroom can have on Education for Sustainable Development;
• Foster the engagement of the parents in the school environment and the children’s support at home;
• Develop an understanding of the planning, organisation and risk management required for teaching and learning outside the classroom;
• Point out appropriate strategies for teaching and learning outside the classroom.
Our courses, developed in the framework established by the Erasmus+ Programme, are crafted to include both formal and non-formal education methodologies. Starting with a theoretical approach to the theme of the course, we proceed with non-formal learning strategies in order to guarantee and stimulate an active contribution from the participants involved. In practice, we use: Presentations; Analysis of study cases; Discussions in the classroom; Role-plays; Technical visits to local private and public institutions; Conferences with local professionals to exchange good practices; Job shadowing experiences; Workshops to rethink old practices and introduce new ones. By applying scientific knowledge, students are faced with real problems which they will try and solve. In addition, certain key aspects will be revealed, such as the investment of learners put into the project, the representation they have of the scientific phenomenon, or the time available. Moreover, students will not only be able to complete a project, but also to apply new technological tools, and acquire skills such as sketch drawing, mathematical calculations, new materials, concluding drafts, teamwork.
Prior to the start of the course, participants will receive a detailed programme outlining the content and structure of the course, as well as recommended reading and viewing material relevant to the course contents. They will also receive practical information about Berlin, including maps, places of interest and accommodation.
€490/person. For accommodation and other costs please contact us at email@example.com
We will hand out:
Certificate of attendance, which will include title of course, main training content and dates;
Europass Mobility certificates issued by your NA and signed by us.